Nov 7, 2009

Stuff

After a several month dry spell with virtually no inquiries, orders or sales of prints/cards, etc, I've had a pretty busy week. I've had two requests to donate items for silent auctions. One of the auctions is in Maryland, US for a Lab Rescue group and I donated a set of greeting cards and a print of my Chocolate Lab drawing, Ghira.

In addition to the prints and cards, I donated a $100 gift certificate to be used towards a custom pet portrait. The second auction will be held here in Fredericton for a group who is raising money to help a friend in need. I gave them a $100 gift certificate as well for their auction. So hopefully this will drum up some business for me and at the same time, help raise money for some great causes!

And while I was busy getting things ready to be sent out for these auctions, I received a large order request from the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club of Queensland, Australia. They are having a show in Dec. and placed an order for 25 prints and a few notecard sets of my Staffie drawing, George, to be used as prizes. So I'm in the process of getting that ready to be sent out this week. Quite exciting!


So things seem to be picking up a bit and hopefully will continue. It's gotten me motivated to get back into drawing again, now that my studio is set up in the new house. I've also been thinking about what theme I should choose for my drawings, that would be popular for prints and cards. At the moment, I'm just trying a bunch of different things, but perhaps I should be more focused. I'm toying with the idea of doing a series of dog breeds, because these are the ones that seem to sell the best from my collection. Or maybe I should do horses...or puppies and kittens...I can't decide! I would be interested to hear what my readers have to say, so I am open to comments. And for the artists, in your experience, what subjects are most popular?

5 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Congratulations. Its amazing how these things snowball isn't it? I do love your Staffie drawing and hope this gets you lots of enquiries/business

Heather Page said...

Thanks Sue! Let's hope the snowball keeps rolling!

Leanne said...

Hi Heather,

I've found that cat people love all cats. They are not usually specific about the breed, like dog people are. So as far as subject insight from another artist, any cat is a good cat! But I should also say, choose the subject you are inspired by, because if you are inspired to do it, someone will be inspired to buy it. That's how it works. :)

Heather Page said...

Leanne, you make a good point about cat people loving all cats. And I agree that you have to be inspired in what you draw/paint. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I choose my next subjects. I have to be excited about what I draw...and right now that's rocks!! :) They will keep me busy for a while!

Artist from Ukraine said...

I love this one. A very cool drawing. Well done!